Navdanya International joins the call from more than a quarter million people and more than 350 organizations from around the globe, for real, just climate solutions from 2018’s UNFCCC COP24 climate talks. www.peoplesdemands.org #PeoplesDemands
In first action at COP24, People’s Demands chart a path toward 1.5 degree world
KATOWICE, 4 December 2018: Today, a global coalition will hold a series of events to issue a set of global demands to governments as the U.N. climate talks begin.
The People’s Demands, a call from more than a quarter million people and more than 330 organizations from around the globe, has become the rallying cry going into the talks and will be the bar against which progress is measured.
The global call will be delivered to the Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC later in the week.
Right now, the fate of our planet is being decided in Poland.
— Corporate Accountability (@StopCorpAbuse) December 4, 2018
The action will feature numerous environmental leaders, activists and people with signs and other visuals. The group of 30 or more people will forecast the deliver of the demand petition to the leadership of the UNFCCC on behalf of all Parties.
The People’s Demands, supported by people in over 125 countries, features six demands to governments:
- Keep fossil fuels in the ground.
- Reject false solutions that are displacing real, people-first solutions to the climate crisis.
- Advance real solutions that are just, feasible, and essential.
- Honor climate finance obligations to developing countries.
- End corporate interference in and capture of the climate talks.
- Ensure developed countries honor their «Fair Shares» for largely fueling this crisis.
The demands are rooted in Global South movements and were convened by movements like the Global Campaign to Demand Climate Justice (DCJ), Asian People’s Movement on Debt and Development, ActionAid International, ETC Group, Indigenous Environmental Network, Climate Justice Alliance and others.