As part of the commemorations around the International Day of Biological Diversity, the Mexican Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), in coordination with the Universidad Veracruzana (UV), organized the webinar “Protect Our Biodiversity, Intellectual Heritage and Sovereignty”. Dr. Vandana Shiva, president of Navdanya International, took part in the online conference. She was accompanied by Sara Ladrón de Guevara, rector of the UV, as well as Arturo Argueta Villamar, Undersecretary of Environmental Policy and Planning, and Adelita San Vicente Tello, general director of the Primary Sector and Renewable Natural Resources, both representing the head of the Semarnat.
The webinar took place in the context of the agreement signed between the UV and the Semarnat, for the protection of genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge in the Sierra Santa Marta, implementing the Nagoya Protocol on the ground and highlighting the sovereignty of the nation over its biocultural heritage. The speakers recalled the importance of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), which has given rise to the Nagoya and Cartagena Protocols. Dr. Vandana Shiva explained that one of the main goals of the CBD is the fair distribution of the benefits that arise from the use of genetic resources, contributing to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity. The CBD thus seeks to fight against biopiracy and the historical dispossession of genetic resources and biodiversity of indigenous peoples, whose rights are essential to defend.
- Presenta Semarnat principios de la política nacional para la implementación del Protocolo de Nagoya – Hoja de Ruta, 25 de mayo de 2021
- Mudan cumbre de la FAO a Nueva York – Por Angélica Elicriso – La Jornada, 25 de mayo de 2021
- SEMARNAT y Universidad Veracruzana organizaron conferencia de Vandana Shiva – Por Estefania Juarez – almomento.mx, 25 de mayo de 2021
- UV ha sido congruente con la diversidad biológica y cultural: Rectora – Universo – Sistema de noticias de la UV – Por José Luis Couttolenc Soto – Universo, 24 de mayo de 2021
- Urge erradicar piratería de maíz: Vandana Shiva – Observer – Por Patricia Vega Villavicencio – The Observer, 24 de mayo de 2021